Roofing replacements can be expensive, and most homeowners will try to put off this messy and pricey home renovation for as long as possible. In the meantime, you can either do minor repairs or patch jobs that won’t cost you much at the time, or you can get a roofing expert to do an extensive repair job on your roof that will make that old roof of yours last for years. It’s tough to make the best possible repair or replacement decision when your old roof is already 15 – 20 years in use. Here are a few tips to help you decide if a repair job is enough and if a full roof replacement is a better solution.
When Old Roof Repairs Are Best
If you don’t have the money for a full roof replacement, then a good repair can help you extend the project until you have the money you need, or will at least help you get a few more years’ use out of your old roof. Here are a few times when old repairs are best.
- If your roof is only damaged in a small area or on one side of your home, then a roof repair can solve your problem for a very long time to come. The only problem here is that the new roofing materials might look different to that of your old roof materials that have already faded and worn, which can make your roof look a little patched.
- If your roof is still in relatively good condition, then you should definitely proceed with a roof repair. Small roof repairs like a fresh coat of paint and a fix here and there can make a huge difference to the look of your home and can help you get much more time out of your roof..
- If you are planning on selling your home in the near future, then a few roof repairs and a restoration is also probably the best option. Your old roofing should hold up while you are still living there with some minor repairs and restoration completed. To maximise a good sale price if moving, then a full roof restoration is recommended as a cheaper alternative to a full roof replacement.
When a Complete Roof Replacement is Best
There are many times when a roof repair just isn’t worth it, and a new and fresh roof is often a better solution in the long and even in the short run. Here are a few times when it is best to get a full roof replacement.
- If the damage to your roof is extensive, then it is best to just get a roof replacement. Roofing repairs are charged per square metre, and if the damaged area is just too big, then your repairs can easily cost just as much as a new roof.
- If your roof is made of a material that is no longer available, then a new roof might be best. A patchy roof can make your home seem unappealing and can decrease property value.
- A new roof can increase property value dramatically and can make home life a lot more functional if you choose the right materials and colour scheme.
- Roofs that are made of cheap materials are best to be replaced with something more durable. Why waste money on a cheap fix when you can get a high-quality replacement for a small investment?
If these tips are still not enough to help you decide between a roof repair and replacement, then the best thing you can do is to give Guardian Roofing a call. We can come out to your location and check out the condition of your current roof. Our roofing experts can give you a full quote on the cost of repairs and the cost of replacement, so you can decide for yourself which solution is best.